I knew Brandon's birthday treat would have to combine his two favourites: cheesecake and peanut butter. Since these treats are so decadent I opted for mini versions as they just seemed less intimidating than diving into a whole cheesecake. Although they seem complex they were actually quite simple to make. And are so indulgent! If you are looking for a rich, peanut buttery, chocolately treat look no further!
recipe adapted from Oh My God Chocolate Desserts
makes: 12-14 mini cheesecakes
Oreo Crust Base:
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
Peanut Butter Cheesecake:
2 bricks (16 oz) of softened cream cheese
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
7 Reece's Peanut Butter Cups chopped
1. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners. I also sprayed the cupcake lines with non-stick spray to ensure they would pop out easily.
2. Mix together the Oreo crumbs and the melted butter. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of this mixture into each cupcake liner, pat down with back of spoon.
3. Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the cream and vanilla until combined.
5. Spoon cheesecake mixture on top of baked crusts. Fill to the brim.
6. Bake again at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. When finished let cool and then place in refrigerator for roughly 4 hours to set.
7. In a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate chips and cream. Microwave until melted using 15 second intervals, stirring in-between, so you don't burn the chocolate. Add powdered sugar to thicken.
8. Remove cupcake liners from cheesecakes. Spoon ganache over cheesecakes and top with chopped Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. Place in fridge to set until cooled.