Lately I've been focusing on filling my wardrobe with closet staples. Pieces that are timeless, versatile and interchangeable with the seasons. It's hard to do when every store is filled with pretty pastel and floral dresses that never fail to catch my eye, but when you remember that these pieces can accent the more seasonal items it definitely makes it easier. I've been doing pretty well building up my wardrobe and wanted to share what I find to be five staples items that every closet needs. Let me know if you agree with these pieces and where you splurge! Or if I'm missing any.
1. White Blouse- I had been on the hunt for a soft, not too fitting white blouse for so long. I came across this boyfriend style blouse at Old Navy and it was exactly what I was looking for. I love that it has slits in the sides and can take me from work to event with no change needed. Tuck it in a skirt, wear it under a sweater with the collar popping out or simply wear it on it's on.
2. Leather Jacket- Leather jackets are a closet splurge, but an essential. And the right one can last year you over ten years (just ask my mom). When you find one you love-- that fits like a glove, is made with breathable material, and expresses the right amount of rocker chic vibes without looking like a biker-- you know you are set. This jacket took me a few years to come by but has definitely proven valuable as I pair it with everything from lace skirts, skinny jeans, and floral dresses.
3. Skinny Jeans- I know we all have a variety of jeans-- the boyfriend, the distressed, the high waisted-- but a dark washed pair of skinny jeans without rips is a closet staple for me. They can be worn to work on casual Fridays, be dressed up, or dressed down for any event. I recently picked these up at American Eagle when they were having a BOGO sale (along with this pair) and am so glad I decided to go with this classic style as I have found myself relying on them more and more.
4. Black Structured Bag- Another item to splurge on to ensure quality. My Rebecca Minkoff tote takes me from morning to night, work to event, and fits a copious amount of paraphernalia that one may or may not need on the daily (here's looking at you bulk barn coupons and 2 bottles of Essie nail polish). A structured bag is timeless and essential.
5. Black Booties- Again, I had been on the hunt for a pair of black, pointy-toe boots, with just the right amount of heel height and that did not resemble cowboy boots in any way. I know it's April, and basically time to put them away, but how did I do? I loved these Zara booties instantly and am so glad to finally have found an alternate to my fatigued Sam Edelman Pettys. Booties pair with everything from pants, skirts and dresses and when you find the right pair it's like everything clicks. Am I right?
Remember-- timeless over transient and classic over momentary. Do these tips help? What are some of your closet staples? Am I missing any essentials?
Shout-out to the lovely Jackie from Something About That for braving the cold and snapping these shots.
What I'm Wearing
Old Navy Hi-Lo Boyfriend Oxford (on sale)
J Crew necklace (similar)
American Eagle jeans
Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote (similar)